Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Your mom's spaghetti (not mine)


Ah, spaghetti with tomato sauce! One of my lifelong favorites, and with all those carbs and sugar, how could it not be? While this meal didn't exactly remind me of dinners MY mom used to make, because her spaghetti sauce came from a Prego jar and we never had veggie sides with spaghetti - and for that matter, never EVER a veggie that didn't come from a can - it still has an old-fashioned feeling to it, one that slightly predates this modern-day world of dizzingly infinite food options. And one I love.

I made a batch of the 5 minute tomato sauce I've written about before, this time adding chopped onions for added flavor, and I'd say it turned out better than it ever has before. (I also froze 3 more servings' worth in small tupperwares; all told, that's five servings for about $3). We ate this over regular spaghetti noodles because that's all we had; I'd have preferred whole grain, I think J. bought them. The greens are one of those "Just for One" Green Giant frozen sides which I bought because they were two-for-one. I'll admit, it's easy to like them, especially at 40 calories - though I distrust the "cheese" sauce that accompanies them. But I'll admit, I still have to be cajoled into eating broccoli, and some fake cheese didn't hurt broccoli's argument in this case. Also, it's definitely a rip-off if not on sale.

Good dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment