Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Pork with pineapple salsa


My love of pineapple is very, very recent. There was always something about the sinewy texture of canned pineapple (I never tried it fresh until recently) that made me feel a bit gaggy. Somewhere in my adulthood (if that's what this is) I grew to disdain it, then accept it, then really like it, and now I think "pineapple, fun!" Which is why I saw this recipe in the most recent Cooking Light and decided hey! yeah! pineapple! So, it turned out to be very tasty. Actually, I think I over-onioned - in fact, I woke up this morning STILL feeling like I had eaten the whole onion raw, piece by piece - but I still loved the pineapple / pork / onion combination. I didn't have a jalapeno, so I just squirted some sriracha into the salsa as usual, and it was fine.

I also lucked out at the grocery store yesterday (on my mega-binge) and found 4 servings of fresh asparagus for $1.50! So I prepared it like so. The balsamic was a one-two punch with the onion from the salsa, but it was such a flavorful asparagus that I give it two thumbs up. And in my ongoing effort to use up food in my fridge before I have to toss it in the trash, I put all of this on top of polenta discs lightly grilled in the remainder of the asparagus butter/balsamic combo.

Altogether, this was a relatively light meal (350ish calories) that looked and tasted pretty awesome for a random Tuesday night dinner. Win!

No comments:

Post a Comment