Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Lemon-Thyme Gnocchi with Asparagus


People, when I'm good, I'm good. And when I'm great? Well, it's usually because I followed a recipe correctly. And tonight, I did just that.

I had to do a HUGE ton of laundry tonight, and I didn't mind one bit because I knew that meant I could spend an hour lazily wandering through the grocery store, planning my dinner. While I waited for the wash cycle to finish, I flipped through my most recent Cooking Light and found a recipe I had somehow missed before. Gnocchi? Why not? The calorie count on the serving listed was good, and it was a very simple plan (I used ready-made gnocchi), so I went for it. And how can you really go wrong combining butter (not much, though!), thyme, scallion, salt, pepper, lemon, and parmesan. I mean, how can you? You can't!

Instead of keeping the rind in, I took a cue from Kat Bakes and peeled the rind with a peeler, so that I could remove the rind easily afterward. It's not too lemony.

Oh! And to make it a little more interesting, I cooked fresh asparagus in the pan after removing the sauce for the gnocchi for a few minutes, just until it was just starting to crisp. That's all it needed, it's perfect. The best part is, this whole meal altogether took me exactly as long as it takes water to boil.

Feeling prett-y, prett-y, pretty good about this one. Oh, and I adapted this recipe for a meal for one, I feel a little like Cathy.

1 comment: