Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sunday brunch


Being a good midwestern girl at heart, there aren't a lot of dishes that I WOULDN'T smother in white gravy. But since I don't want to die at 35 weighing 300+ pounds, I make every best effort to suppress this desire. However, after making veggie gravy for that ladies' brunch a few weeks ago, I've been craving it intensely - I didn't really get much of it at the time. And since I still had some Gimme Lean left over, I decided today was the day to use it up.

So, I made a nice little pot of gravy, combining margarine (bleh, another thing I need to use up), flour, pepper, and skim milk with the veggie sausage and some chopped up mushrooms, and then served it over sliced, lightly grilled polenta. I scrambled some eggs and added fresh strawberries (and they were so sweet and delicious!) and we had ourselves a really nice little breakfast! I felt the polenta was slightly better for us than biscuits would've been, and I didn't really feel like making that much of an effort anyway. The combo worked out really well! And I have enough gravy and polenta left over for another meal this week, so that's something to look forward to, right?

Come to think of it, this brunch is almost identical to one that my sweet friend Natalie made for me and my friends when we were driving my car back from Indiana. She just had a baby this week... maybe that's why I concocted this plate. It's refreshing to have her so present in my mind, I miss her.

No comments:

Post a Comment