After staring at my tiny slow cooker for months, wondering what I could make within its confines that would be worthwhile, I decided yesterday that I was just giving it too much thought, and not enough action. The day was gray and I had plans to stay home and sort through my stuff, so what better day to fill the air with the aroma of a homemade chicken broth? What a nice dinner this was! I used this recipe from the Food Network site, but based on what I had here, I swapped chopped mushrooms and cream of mushroom for the apple and cream of celery soup, and added bay leaves. I love a good rosemary and mushroom combo! It looked and smelled a little like a French soup, so at the last minute I added some grainy bread for sopping up broth: good idea, me. (Apologies for the unappealing photo, it's not a good representation.)
I'm sitting around waiting for my first day of work to arrive, which I now know will be next Monday, and I'm part excited, but also not sure what this will mean for my cooking and food preparations. I would say that's the only thing I'm unhappy about with this change. Since I'll still be poor, I'll still be packing lunch... I just won't have all day to think about it, shop for it, and prepare it. I think that's a small complaint! Maybe even a challenge, in a good way. We shall see! In the meantime I'm tempted to use these last few days to make things I have never made before, just for fun. Thinking about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment