Sunday, February 21, 2010

Meat and two sides



For the past few meals that I've prepared at home, I've been sticking more or less to a "meat and two veg" rule. I've been about 80% successful at cutting out bread and pasta... but rice has wheedled its way in, that sneaky little grain. In measured quantities, but still.

I discovered the most delicious sausage this week, though - chicken and apple. Man, it's almost too good! I do like sweet meats (just like your mom) so it may be too sweet for some, but I enjoyed it a lot. The first time, I prepared it with homemade coleslaw (prepared with salad creme, pepper, and grainy mustard) and a frozen spinach / mushroom combo with sriracha. I enjoyed it, but was hungry again before bedtime. And Sarah does not like to be hungry.



The next night, I got home late and kind of threw together a meal that I meant to work a little harder on, and the result was fine but not exciting. I basically tossed paprika all over some pork and grilled it in a pan, and then added a ready-made pilaf and the remainder of my spinach/mushroom combo from the night before.


On Friday night, I had one chicken sausage, the rest of the coleslaw, and made Trader Joe's mushroom risotto to go with it. I wanted to do a veg, but I think I burned out on frozen greens this week, and that was all I really had. It was good enough, and I was very good about eating a small portion of the risotto.





More of this is to come! I would like to incorporate some more fish, but my regular grocery store has piss-poor fish options. So.

No comments:

Post a Comment