Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Amber's Arroz con Pollo


Again, I am blessed with friends who do kick-ass things with food. While Amber will tell you that she combined two recipes into one for this recipe, I would still consider it hers, because she made the magic happen, AND she brought it to my attention. I can email it to you if you want, just ask.

This was a new cooking experience for me, because frankly I have basically only ever cooked chicken breasts, with one foray into drumsticks that didn't go at all well - never thighs. I just don't generally go for the dark meat. But to stay true to this recipe I decided to follow it to a T and try something new. Altogether one serving is still only about 240 calories so who cares, right?

It's delicious. The rice is savory, the chicken is tender and flavored well, and my apartment smells amazing right now. It was also very easy to make and required minimal effort. I definitely want to make a variation of this again. I think next time though, I will stick with white meat. I just don't like having to dig around in a bunch of bones to find the meat among the gristle and bloody bits, you know? It's my personal preference. I also didn't know quite how long to cook it, and started to eat while juices were still red, before I stopped myself and let it cook some more. Chicken breasts are never bloody, and I like that about them. And do you know how hard it is to wrestle a chicken thigh within the confines of a bowl? Not easy!

I have a LOT of leftovers, so I think I'll just shred the meat off the remaining thighs and mix the meat into the rice. And then I will be a lucky girl with enviable leftovers for days to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment