Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Korean Beef and Vegetable Noodle Stir Fry


It's been an interesting trip around the world around these parts lately, hasn't it? Indian food, Italian food, a full English breakfast, and now Korean stir fry? Why the hell not, really?

I was reading up on low-calorie, highly filling foods the other day and came across mention of the Japanese Konyakku noodle, which is made of some wild yam or something. I actually found them at our grocery store, so I decided to attempt to make a meal that my conversation partner has attempted to describe to me before: Jap Chae. It was really pretty simple actually.

First, I purchased a package of pre-cut stir fry lean beef strips and marinated them in a mixture of 1 T sesame oil, a healthy douse of Braggs Liquid Amino (replacing soy sauce), chopped scallions, ginger, and garlic for about twenty minutes.

I thin-sliced 2 carrots and put them into a pan on low heat with snow peas and chopped red pepper and cooked them in water until they started to soften. Here, I made the mistake of adding the beef directly to this pan in an effort to save myself from washing TWO pans, and while it turned out fine, I regretted having all that beef grease on the veggies, even though I attempted to keep them separate and then drained carefully.

The noodles were easy to prepare - just boil some water, add the contents of one packet to the water and let them sit there for like thirty seconds - just until warm - before draining. I mixed everything together in a bowl with a splash of actual soy sauce before serving. Yes indeed, it was filling, savory, and delicious! Whether it was exactly as you'd find it in a Korean restaurant, I would say probably not; I added the red pepper and the ginger, the noodles were Japanese, and the Braggs is obviously not Korean. Also I think I was supposed to add sugar to the stir fry, but I didn't.

Anyway, I'm pretty proud of myself - this was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment