Sunday, April 11, 2010

Full* English Breakfast


I don't exactly know why I came up with the idea to make this today. I wasn't hung over, or even very hungry. But once the idea of an English breakfast enters my mind, whenever it enters my mind, it's very hard to shake it. I had to go to the store anyway, so I picked up some extras along with my eggs and got started.

I stewed the tomatoes and mushrooms with a little black pepper and some water, nothing much. Then I popped a cut-up red potato into the oven on high so it would cook up faster, and miraculously pulled it out perfectly at just the right time - not over-cooked or under-cooked. I heated a pot of baked beans (whatever it is about baked beans that has made them so crucial to the English diet, I'll never know, but I'm glad for it!) and put the turkey bacon on. (I eschewed sausage or blood pudding for obvious reasons, namely health and ick factor.) For the eggs, I decided to attempt to make an egg over medium for Jeremy, which I've never ever done before because raw egg yolk makes me want to puke. I failed and turned that effort into my own scrambled egg. Add a bit of lightly buttered toast (my English friends would have grilled it in butter) and we're there.

Altogether, it wasn't JUST like the English breakfasts in my fat-filled memories, but it was a nice effort, messy but easy, and very filling for a day in which I wasn't planning to eat three meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment